As an educator, my aim is to continually integrate practical “real-life” experiences and actions into the lessons at hand. I feel that the social sciences are more meaningful when applied to the lived experiences of students and the resolution of community concerns and global issues. When students see concepts and information as connected to their lives, their absorption of, and interaction with, new knowledge may be more profound, even transformative. Through experiential and collaborative learning, they can realize their own potential roles in creating more just, egalitarian and humane communities. Through this self-reflective process, they can also confront their own fears, privileges and prejudices, developing confidence and a sense of empowerment.
Eugene Lang College, New School University. New York, NY
Part-Time Faculty, Gural Scholars Program: Fall 2015
• Critical Theory and Social Justice in the US
City University of New York. New York, NY
Adjunct Professor: 2010-current
• Globalization and Sustainability, Introduction to Sociology, Mass Communications and Mass Media, People, Power and Politics and Social Problems: Brooklyn College, Sociology Department
• American Government: Borough of Manhattan Community College, Political Sciences Dept.
• Foundations for College Success and Lifelong Learning: Brooklyn College, Psychology Dept.
For each course, I prepare and deliver all course syllabi, lesson plans and lectures, teaching aids, exams, manage course blogs and design all other instructional materials.
International Rescue Committee. New York, NY
Afterschool Tutor: 2014
• Promoted English language literacy and academic achievement by assisting Brooklyn International High School students with homework and portfolio projects, while helping them develop conversation skills
• Communicated regularly with IRC staff, volunteers and school personnel to ensure effectiveness and consistency
Social Media for Kids®. Brooklyn, NY
Co-Founder/Director of Communications and Content: 2010 – 2013
• Conducted strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation and day-to-day management for a small start-up business with the mission of raising awareness amongst youth and their families about the potential impacts of internet-based Social Media
• Created and distributed curriculum and classroom content, promotional and marketing materials and online content
• Hired and managed freelance instructors and interns and delivered curriculum in several urban public schools
• Designed and led workshops for parents and educators on how to communicate with children about social media and monitor online activities